Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day Fun!

“I had a lot of fun today!” were the words that came to Tommy Pickens mind describing his experience at the first ever HLG Wrestling Labor Day Picnic. The Yuraitis family graciously opened up their home and property to us for the picnic. It was somewhat ironic that the first HLG Wrestling Picnic was held close to LaGrange, MO the town where Hannibal-LaGrange College was founded. The day included a smorgasbord of picnic foods like bratwurst, hamburgers, chips, potato salad, brownies, and watermelon to name a few. The activities of the afternoon were swimming in the lake, fishing, target shooting contest with .22 rifles, and Mr. Yuraitis taking us on a hike to a honey bee hive hidden in the hollow of a tree. After Tommy Pickens decided to put his hand near the hollow in the tree we decided it would be best for us to leave. I forgot to take my camera with me to capture the fun of the day, but I did manage to download a few pictures off of my phone of some fish that Josh Smith caught. Josh caught the biggest fish of the day. It was a nice sized catfish. We did not eat any of the fish. They were all thrown back into the lake to live another day. Don’t let Nick and Jobi fool you! I don't think they caught any fish. I think they are holding the small fish that Josh caught. Curt Trimmell won the dead eye shooting contest and was able to score 12 points in the contest. Because this first picnic was a lot of fun, I think it is safe to say that we will try to have another one next year. We may have to limit the amount of food we allow the wrestlers to put on their plate after we check their weight today during open mat time!;-)

No comments: